Town of Plymouth, NY
The Town of Plymouth, New York, was formed from Norwich, NY, on April 7, 1806, but it was settled more than a decade prior. It is located in a fertile valley north of the center of Chenango County. Canasawacta Creek meanders south-east forming a junction near the center of the town. In the highlands is Plymouth Reservoir Pond that covers 77 acres. This idyllic vacation spot offers fishing (stocked with trout by the Lake Association), camping and recreation.
The history of this area is dotted with anecdotes about early settlers, many claiming land grants, making their way in the wilderness, some aided by Native Americans. They survived on abundant game, farming, and making their living along the Canasawacta Creek that powered saw and grist mills. Families began to settle Plymouth around 1794. Some of these early inhabitants were French, and in their honor, Plymouth was known as Frenchtown, Frank Town or Francistown. In 1799, South Plymouth was settled by the New England family of Ebenezer and Patience Frink, hence the original name of "Frinkville". Another notable resident was John Young. An abandoned saw mill now stands on what was once the site of the cabin occupied by this poor settler. Young is chiefly remembered for being the father of Brigham Young, who was to become the founder of the Mormon Church.
The communities and locations in Plymouth, New York, are Kirk (once famous for their cheese factory), Plymouth; Plymouth Reservoir; Sherburne Four Corners; South Plymouth (or "Frinkville"), and Stuart Corners.